Paddle to the Sea is the latest release from Song of the Lakes. This musical yarn is based on the 20th century masterpiece by Holling Clancy Holling of an adventurous little paddle-man who makes his winding way through the Great Lakes to the salt water sea. Inspired by this tale, Great Lakes troubadours, Song of the Lakes, gathered some years back to trace Paddle’s journey in song. It begins at the headwaters of Lake Superior, twisting and dancing along, carrying stories of people along the way in his battered little wooden canoe touching the hearts of everyone he meets with joy and wonder.
Song of the Lakes has sailed the sweetwater seas, weathered storms and put their sheets to the wind for over 30 years traveling to far away places as ambassadors of the Great Lakes. This group of diverse musicians bonded together by a deeply rooted desire to celebrate the majesty of these precious jewels. This story of journey and transformation is for the young and old alike.
- Creation: Michael Sullivan
- Lumberjack: Michael Sullivan
- Lake Superior: Michael Sullivan
- Sweetwater Dreamscape: Michael Sullivan
- The Shipwreck: Ingemar Johansson
- Mate Maloney: Ingemar Johansson
- Drifting on Lake Michigan: Ingemar Johansson
- The Girl’s song: Michael Sullivan
- Niagra Falls: Ingemar Johansson
- St. Lawrence River: Lisa Johansson
- Paddle Dance: Michael Sullivan
- The Creation: Michael Sullivan
- Lisa Johansson: Concert flute, alto flute, wooden whistle, vocals, guiro
- Michael Sullivan: Guitars, mandolin, bouzouki, banjo, concertina, vocals
- Rick Jones: Bodhran, African bells, shakers, vocals
- Ingemar Johansson: Guitars, mandolin, djembe, vocals
- Frank Youngman: Upright bass, vocals
Recorded, mixed and mastered at Frontier Recording, Copemish, Michigan
Engineer: Scott Zylstra, Layout and design: Chelsea Bay Design
Produced by Song of the Lakes. All songs and arrangements © 2015
Thanks to the staff at Thunder Bay National Marine Sanctuary
Based on PADDLE-TO-THE-SEA by Holling C. Holling. Copyright 1941, © renewed 1969 by Holling Clancy Holling. Performed by arrangement with Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.